Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Macrame Candy?

  So lately I had been playing around with the idea of weaving a knotted candy cane. Set my mind to ponder and think about how exactly I wanted this to work out and doing sketches of ideas of thread movement and striped patterns. Hours were spent researching online to see if anyone had attempted to do anything like this before and looking to see if perhaps I could adapt some kind of cross stitch pattern as a rough guide. But, alas, I found nothing.

   It would have been fairly easy to just do some kind of half hitch alternating around the length of the candy cane, but I thought that would have been too easy. Good enough for a Christmas tree decoration, but I wanted something that I could back with white ultrasuede and turn into an eye-catching pendant.





  A few days ago, I decided to take my drawn pattern and give it a test run. I used a ton of double and single half hitch knots to knot the entire piece. It measures about 3" long and about 1 3/4" wide. And I must admit, I am quite proud of how it turned out. So here you go internet... a Macrame Candy Cane!

No comments:

Post a Comment